There have been a few deaths recently of people who have been electrocuted because they have been charging their mobile/cell phones whilst using them in the bath.
This sounds a ridiculously stupid way to die. Some people see this as a slimming down of the ‘gene pool’, or an easily avoided tragic death of a stupid person. But I think that’s quite harsh because:
1. If ‘stupidity’ on its own was fatal, there would be a lot more deaths in the World.
2. There would be no need to have printed on a box of tooth picks the instructions ‘Insert one toothpick at a time into gum and ‘work’ obstruction free (obstructions include a piece of meat, popcorn or your girlfriends braces’) – Yes, I have added the last bit.
But you get the idea.
I think the problem here is not stupidity, but because people are so used to electricity being all around them, that it has lulled them into a false sense of security.
A lot of people use their mobile/cell phones in the bathroom while they’re on the loo (you know who you are) – they also use them in the bath. Once the fear of using it in the bath is lost, the next step is people using them in the bath, even whilst they are charging. They use phone chargers which have frayed wires that even show the copper wiring through the insulation because the danger of doing this has been lost and they have become complacent to their own safety.
So I think it’s actually complacency that kills them, not stupidity.
Picture from Pixabay
(c) Kate McClelland